Enigma - US Deathwing

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Login

Post subject: Website techie questions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:42 am 
Hello Enigma!

This question is directed at whoever made and maintains your website; I would have PM'd them but I don't know who it is.

Your website has the best balance of functionality, simplicity, and polish I've seen in a guild site. By inspecting the page source, I see you are using Joomla! for the front page, and phpBB for this forum. I was curious to know how you set it up, and what packages/plugins you use. Specifically:

How you got Joomla! to have the Enigma-website stuff (menu bar, logo, etc) always there, and phpBB embedded in the main area when someone clicks on the forum link.
How you get the front page posts synchronized with new posts in the Public News subforum.
How you got user accounts synchronized across phpBB and Joomla!
How you got the rotating banner up top with your latest kills.
Which extension you used for the recruitment status banner to the right on your front page.

Mostly looking for info on the Joomla!/phpBB integration, and also any guild-website-specific tips you can offer. Thanks!

Profile E-mail Offline

Post subject: Re: Website techie questions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 am 
Enigma Officer
That's a thid question. Hopefully he'll see this soon.

Profile E-mail Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 pm 
Enigma Trial
this is a pretty sick site for a fucking wow guild

Profile E-mail Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:13 pm 
Enigma Member
Yeah seriously the worst part about Enigma passing away is not being able to use this website anymore...
T.T

Profile E-mail Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:19 pm 
Retired
Here are some one liners you can get started with till Thid explains the rest:
Quote:
How you got Joomla! to have the Enigma-website stuff (menu bar, logo, etc) always there, and phpBB embedded in the main area when someone clicks on the forum link.
How you get the front page posts synchronized with new posts in the Public News subforum.

http://www.jfusion.org

I doubt it's 100% straightforward to setup. Seems like it has its share of kinks that take a bit of work to resolve.

Quote:

I think it's called the Nivo-Szaki Slider. Probably some sort of joomla extension.

Profile E-mail Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 pm 
Retired
Stevoman wrote:
Hello Enigma!

This question is directed at whoever made and maintains your website; I would have PM'd them but I don't know who it is.

Your website has the best balance of functionality, simplicity, and polish I've seen in a guild site. By inspecting the page source, I see you are using Joomla! for the front page, and phpBB for this forum. I was curious to know how you set it up, and what packages/plugins you use. Specifically:

Which extension you used for the recruitment status banner to the right on your front page.

Mostly looking for info on the Joomla!/phpBB integration, and also any guild-website-specific tips you can offer. Thanks!
Hello Steve, I'm the one that administrates the website.

You are correct, the front page uses Joomla and the forum is PHPbb. As Nord pointed out, I use JFusion to link the two databases and websites together. I'm using the frameless integration, which is a major pain in the ass to get right and requires a lot of editing to get to work. The logo and the top menu bar are actually part of Joomla and the forum is in the frameless wrapper, which is how it shows both at the same time. The links are also processed through JFusion, but there are some links that don't work right and require manual editing.

The posts are synchronized with a Joomla plugin called "JFusion Discussion Bot".

User accounts are synchronized using JFusion. The account are created in Joomla and added to PHPbb upon creation. This can be reversed when you do the initial install.

The rotating banner is a plugin called Nivo Slider. I had to modify it quite a bit to fit in the theme of the website. The recruitment banner at the top is simply in the rotation, there is nothing special. When using the plugin, you can specify where you want it to direct to if someone clicks on it.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Packets of data travel over networks.
Therefore, all Druids are network analysts.

Profile E-mail Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 pm 
Retired
thideras wrote:
The recruitment banner at the top is simply in the rotation, there is nothing special.

Just a guess, but I think he was referring to the construct with the 10 images corresponding to classes to show what we were actively recruiting.

[18:40:17] [R] [85:Kani:2]: Fountaiin fails at moving (Lava Wave) (1)
[18:40:18] [R] [85:Kani:2]: Megahoof fails at moving (Lava Wave) (5)

Profile E-mail Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:30 pm 
Retired
Oh, that was a custom written application by a member here, if that is what you were asking. Didn't think about that.

Packets of data travel over networks.
Therefore, all Druids are network analysts.

Profile E-mail Offline